Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Kidney Walk

This year I will be participating in The Kidney Walk in Pittsburgh.  It is on November 6, 2011 at the Pittsburgh Zoo.  Now, some of you may be wondering why I am walking...

On March 20, 1977, my Aunt Karen received a kidney transplant. On May 2, 2011, 34 years, 1 month, and 12 days later, she left this life to move on to a better place. She led a very difficult life, but she fought and defied all odds until the very end. I am walking to honor her memory, and recognize her life. Without that transplant, I would have never gotten the chance to meet Aunt Karen, let alone spend 26 and a half years getting to know her. She was a very special lady, and a huge part of my life.  I miss her more and more every day, but I know that she is watching over me with my Gram and Pap.

Now, her passing was not due to her kidney.  It was due to an abscess tooth infection that she let go for far too long.  She would still be here if not for the infection, which is what makes it that much harder.

But anywho...I am walking to raise awareness and money for the National Kidney Foundation.  My aunt was one of the longest survivng recipients of a kidney transplant. 

Please, either donate a few dollars to help me reach my personal goal of $200, or sign up and walk with us on November 6, 2011 at the Pittsburgh Zoo.  Every little bit helps raise awareness and funds for the NKF.

Please help me honor the memory and the life of my Aunt Karen...I love you and miss you...

R.I.P.
Karen A. Maher
1/2/1957 - 5/2/2011
God saw you getting tired
and a cure was not to be.
So He put His arms around you
and whispered “come to me.”
With tearful eyes we watched you,
and saw you pass away.
Although we loved you dearly,
we could not make you stay.
A golden heart stopped beating,
hard working hands at rest.
God broke our hearts to prove to us,
He only takes the best.

No comments: