Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lives Lost...

If you didn't already know, I am a HUGE hockey fan.  I mean, I live and breathe hockey between the first game of the season and the last game of the finals.  If I am having a bad day, hockey makes me happy :) (I could use a good hockey game to watch today!).

Unfortunately, this year has not been a good one for hockey players around the world.  Amidst the concussions, suspensions, and shotty refereeing, the hockey world has been hit by a plague of unfortunate, untimely death.  I hate that I am posting this blog, but with the NHL season right around the corner, I wanted to pay tribute to those lives lost in the hockey world since the beginning of 2011....so bear with me here...


Tom Cavanagh - Formerly of the San Jose Sharks


Derek Boogard - New York Rangers


Rick Rypien - Winnipeg Jets

The Yaroslavl Lokomotiv hockey team lost all but one member in Wednesday's crash in Russia. The passenger list, provided by the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations:



Vitaly Anikeyenko
Yury Bakhvalov
Aleksandr Belyayev
Mikhail Balandin


Aleksandr Vasyunov - New Jersey Devils


Josef Vasicek - Most recently of the New York Islanders

Aleksandr Vyukhin
Robert Dietrich


Pavol Demitra - Vancouver Canucks

Andrei Zimin
Marat Kalimulin
Aleksandr Karpovtsev
Aleksandr Kalyanin
Andrei Kiryukhin
Nikita Klyukin
Igor Korolyov
Nikolai Krivonosov
Yevgeny Kunnov
Vyacheslav Kuznetsov
Stefan Liv
Jan Marek


Brad McCrimmon - Coach and Player for Various Teams
Sergey Ostapchuk
Vladimir Piskunov


Karel Rachunek - New Jersey Devils

Evgeny Sidorov



Karlis Skrastins - Dallas Stars

Ruslan Salei - Detroit Red Wings

Pavel Snurnitsyn
Daniil Sobchenko
Ivan Tkachenko
Pavel Trakhanov
Igor Urychev
Gennady Churilov
Maksim Shuvalov
Artyom Yarchuk

No comments: