Thursday, May 5, 2011

Some things are never easy...

Well, I know that it has been a few days, but this has been the longest week of my life.

I spent an awesome weekend in Chicago with two of the most wonderful ladies...and we had a blast!  But my life forever changed about halfway between Chicago and Pittsburgh on Monday.  I lost a large part of my life.  My Aunt Karen passed away.

She was taken to the hospital last Tuesday because of an infection...She had an abscess tooth that she let go for far too long.  Aunt Karen was in poor health to begin with, so the infection was a lot worse for her than it would have been for you and me.  They operated on Thursday night, and she went into cardiac arrest on Friday morning.  My parents didn't tell me because they wanted me to enjoy my weekend way with my friends.  She was breathing through a tube and having a really rough time.

The weekend was long for Aunt Karen, but she was a fighter...she had a long, tough life in fact.  She had Turner's Syndrome, and we just found out.

When she passed, my Mom, Dad, and Aunt Lynnie were with her.  Aunt Karen knew that it was her time to go...she defied all odds her whole life and she is in a much better place now.  She is with her Mom and Dad, her Aunt, and most of all, her best friend Norma Jean.

Aunt Karen, I may not have said it enough, or even showed it...But you are one of the bravest, toughest, most amazing women that I have ever and will ever know.  You showed me that no matter what life throws at you, you can enjoy your life.  I wish that I would have seen you in the last couple of days of your life, but you know how well I deal with hospitals.  I will love you forever...and I will never, ever forget you.

Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!
- Mary Frye

No comments: